15th of May. It’s been a week since the moment I moved to the USA. After almost 9 months we finally received a K1 visa or so-called fiancee visa. Because our case was different (it’s an immigrant visa), passport control procedure was different as well.

For those who did not travel to the USA yet: no matter if you are an American citizen or a visitor or a new immigrant (that’s how they called at the passport control :D), you are obliged to fill out the CBP form where you put basic information about yourself. Having CBP and the passport, you proceed to the control. After several general questions like what’s the purpose of the trip, how much cash you have and where you plan to stay, you receive a stamp in the passport along with the date until which it’s allowed to stay in the country.

Now going back to my situation, after general questions the border officer took my docs ( the one I received from Warsaw Embassy) and asked to wait till another office will take me to a emmm… let’s call it a special room. After entering the room, I saw around 10 exhausted people, passengers of the same flight. None of them had the same situation as I had. They were just “suspicious” during the initial check. The most painful part was to wait. There is no way you can expedite the process. Officers keep chit-chatting about the vacation plans, making jokes about this and that. They take passports randomly..After 11 hours of flight, it sounds like torture. And, honestly, it was.

Finally, an officer called my name (spelled my name correctly :D), explained how fiancee visa works ( about it I will write a separate post one day), registered me and that’s it. My conversion was max 5 mins, however, waiting was a silent killer of my energy. Therefore, I was almost as a squeezed lemon after all of that.

Day 1.

I am so exhausted after the trip that we did not go anywhere. Prosseco, relax at home and of course, I fell asleep at around 7 pm local time.

Day 2.

I can’t believe where I am. I wake up at 2 am, take sleeping pills and try to focus on rest. Waking up in the morning was a relief after a strange night. We start driving around, checking some stores. However, I am terrified to talk to people. Or better to say, I am shocked. We found a nice Mexican grocery store with a huge variety of cheese, vegetables, bread, etc.

The same day we flew to LA, California to pick up a car.

Day 3.

We get the car, snack and start driving. There is like almost 5 hours trip ahead. It gave us a chance to enjoy beautiful, breathtaking views of hills covered with thick green bushes and not high trees. Getting closer to Nevada means a change of landscape. A bit dryer, the weather is still nice. However, Canyons now are dry and empty, only rocks and sand.

Day 4.

We go to IKEA to get furniture. Language does not sound as foreign anymore. People have different accents. Hence, they stress some sounds differently, they don’t ask where I am from and don’t ask about my accent, even though I can sense a tiny bit of interest in their eyes.

Day 5.

Grill day. We went to the Sea Market to buy some fish for the barbecue. There is a huge Asian community, that’s why so many Asian markets with seafood, restaurants, etc.

Day 6.

I am still feeling a bit strange. We’ve set our bed, working on the dresser. So many details and little things we need to assembly to make it work.

Day 7.

We relax! We celebrate! Our bedroom is almost ready, things get more organized, the amount of trash and paper boxes get smaller. We drive to the sign “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas”, and feel like it’s fabulous! We are ready to go get a fancy dinner in Texas de Brazil where they serve picanha steak ( it simply melts in the mouth). And instead of saying dziekuje (thank you in Polish), I will be proudly saying “Thank You” or even “Obrigado” <3

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *